Saturday, May 26, 2007

A Good Bank Run

Today I did a bank run looking for halves and large dollar coins (Eisenhowers). I was able to go to 11 banks in my in-laws' town in the western part of the state. It was a pretty good experience.

At the first bank I found four clad halves and one Eisenhower. I was pretty excited as I didn't expect to find any Eisenhowers, but have decided lately that'll I'll try to complete an album of those. I killed some time in a supermarket and found a Canadian quarter.

At the second and third bank I found nothing. At the fourth my luck started to improve as I found nine clad halves. At the fifth I found 6 halves one of which was a 40% silver one. I also found a penny at that bank. My sixth bank turned up nothing.

I took a break and "hit" a car wash. It was the biggest self service car wash I've ever seen. Land is just too pricey in my area to have these businesses. I found four pennies, 1 dime and 1 quarter. Not too bad.

At the seventh bank I had my biggest score. They had $72 in halves and $23 in Eisenhowers. I gladly took them all! I then hit 3 more banks, the eigth had only one half, a 1985 that I didn't bother to take. The ninth bank had $10.50 in halves, all clad. At the tenth bank I did fairly well, I thought. They had $67 in halves. I think the rolls were someone else's rejects though. The final bank had about a dozen halves and ten Eisenhowers. I saw the teller checking the dates before he gave the halves to me - so I only got clad ones.

When I got home I checked out my loot. I found six 40% halves (1965, 2 x 1967, 2 x 1968D, 1969D) and one 90% half (1964). One of the 40% is colored strangely and has a hole in it.



I also discovered that I had 7 new Eisenhower dates for my collection (1971, 1971D, 1972D, 1974, 1974D, 1976, 1978), now I need to find just four more. Hope I might try to search for some during my lunch breaks.

Found: 13 pennies (1 at the Mobil, 2 at Dunkin' Donuts, 5 at the Mall, 1 at Legacy Bank, 4 at the Car Wash), 1 nickel (at Dunkin' Donuts), 3 dimes (1 at Dunkin' Donuts, 1 at Target, 1 at the Car Wash), 1 quarter (1 at the Car Wash), 1 foreign coin (at the Big Y)

0 comments: