Saturday, June 21, 2008

Living the Title

Today Henry and I lived the title of my blog. He wore his "Cheap, Green and Happy" shirt. Together we went to some banks and then later we went to the recycling center. He was good for all of it. It has been a good weekend with him. Last night he behaved very well when we went out for Texas BBQ.

The slow streak continued for my coin roll hunting.

I rounded up 25 large dollars and 707 small dollars. In them I found four mint set dollars (4 x 2002P).

I also went through 8,316 half dollars. They yielded just three 90% silver halves (3 x 1964), and four 40% silver halves (1966, 1967, 2 x 1968D). The four boxes I picked up today at bank #3 were total skunks! Ugh. Two bank stops turned up a couple of loose silver halves. They saved me a bit.

The 5,000 dimes I looked through were also so-so. In them I found just one silver Rosie (1948D). It's a good one and like the 1955S I found last week it made me feel I was close to finding another album filler.

The mail today was good to me, however. My coupons for free Coke arrived. I decided to use all of my Coke points for free soda coupons. I tried one more time to scam Popular Mechanics into cutting me another $12 check, but it didn't work. So far I've received thirty coupons for free 20 ounce sodas. As bonus of sorts they accidentally mailed me a coupon for a free 12 pack. The only downside is I can only use one coupon at a time. It is going to take some effort to use them all up in three months.

I also got some sort of Olympics coin at the Bank of America today. I thought it was an actual Chinese coin at first, but it seems to be some sort of promotional item related to the 2008 Olympics and Bank of America's sponsorship of them.

Found: 1 penny (at Shaw's), 1 dime (at DCU)

Redeemed: $9.30

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the suggestions on cycling through the coins at different banks. I may have to try to use the one bank where my checking account has had perenially $2.00 in it for about 5 years.

Anyway, I got 80% of the way through my first box of nickels and I found:
1944-S silver, and a 1950-D

Apparently it looks like the 1950-D is possibly the rarest Jefferson? I think its mintage figures are just about the lowest, but I am wondering if there are other reasons why it seemes so much more valuable than the others...?

All I need is the elusive 1971-P nickel to finish my folder... We'll see... It took 75% of the box to find my 1975, now I've found 6 since then...

Good luck on your finds!!!

kestrelia said...

The 1950D is the rarest Jefferson nickel by mintage. In my experience the toughest ones to find are:

1938D - haven't found
1938S - found 2?
1939D - found 2?
1939S - found 2?
1943D - haven't found
1950D - found 3

and these are fairly tough too:

1942D (non-silver) - found 4?
1944S - found 2
1950 - found 3?

Although 1949S, 1951S, and 1955 are supposedly keys, I find these rather frequently. So finding a 1944S and 1950D is great.

Are you working on the Whitman folders?

Unknown said...

Yep, I am working on Whitman folders. I had some about half completed from my childhood and finished off my post-1961 Jeffersons last night, and my non-silver Roosevelt dimes. I just need more time to search. I like the nickels because it's easier to find the earlier ones, but Roosevelt's are fun to find the silver. Haven't started quarters yet - seems like SO many quarters to collect with all those state quarters... Halves are actually cheaper to start a collection due to the lack of multiple mint issues per year.

BTW, isn't the high chair great? I rememebr when we put my son in one, he looked so small... We found out that to get him to use his bottle in the high chair to eat with us, we have a "booster seat"-type high chair that goes on a regular chair. This allowed us to tilt him back, making it easier for him to hold onto his bottle...