Monday, June 16, 2008

Father's Day

Sadly, my first Father's Day is over. It went well. I didn't expect it to be such a time of reflection, however. The weekend made me think about Henry and where we've come as a family. I'm looking forward to the next one.

On Saturday we went to Somerville to so that Meg and Henry could have breakfast with some of her friends. While they were busy, I walked around and went to ten banks. I went in search of halves. I only found halves in one bank! They were someone's dump too, I just bought 200 halves as I could tell they were searched already. In retrospect I should have bought the the small dollars that were offered to me. That would have been a better use of my time, but I didn't feel like it.

That night and the next morning we watched No Country For Old Men. We liked it. I thought it'd be more scary than it was, but I suppose some of that is because we watched it over two viewings and the second viewing had frequent pauses because Henry was being noisy (sometimes he coos a lot at his toys). We also got time to do house stuff, go to Home Depot and read.

For Father's Day I got some hiking pants and a framed photo of Henry. The hiking pants are just like Bear Grylls's pants! Now I just need his flint and knife. And the framed photo has Henry's hand prints. That'll be a great keepsake.

In the mail on Saturday I got some cool foreign coins and bills. A friend, Chris, just got back from Thailand and Cambodia. He sent me an excellent assortment of the coins and bills in circulation there (in Cambodia there are no circulating coins!). It is some really neat stuff.

BTW ... the big coin roll hunting chart on the right is a bit messed up. I'm not sure what is wrong with it, but it'll be fixed soon.

Found: 13 pennies (9 in Somerville), 2 quarters (both in Somerville), 1 foreign coin (a Canadian penny in Somerville)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

FYI - Have you seen the US Mint $1 coint circulation program? Check it out on teh US Mint website or google it...

I've found your site to be so interesting, considering I have a 2 yr old and just started hunting coins myself as a way to remember my father and his love of coins...

Anyway, check it out and mention it on here, others may be interested as well. I wonder if they will offer multiple presidents soon, or sets of dollars per president all the time? Too bad they don't do it with halves, eh?

Unknown said...

Also, I just started checking dimes, nickels and pennies again. I have went through maybe 20 rolls of pennies, 40 of nickels and 15 of dimes so far...

Some of the Whitman folders of pennies overlap and I was able to finish one folder and I am missing a few S pennies on 2 others. From the dimes I finished the last two Roosevelt books (post-silver) and found the following last night in 8 rolls - one 89-S proof (I think that was the year), a 36-D Merc, and a 64-D silver... I think the Merc and proof were both together in one roll and a canadian cent made me think I was about to get another silver from that roll... Gotta love plastic holders...

Do you have more luck in plastic rolls or paper rolls? Just wondering?

Anonymous said...

Happy first Father's Day!

I recently found your blog, and I am enjoying it a lot.

My wife and I have a 3 month old baby named Jason, so it's interesting to see similar experiences from a different perspective.

kestrelia said...

DHegler -

Thanks for posting! That's some pretty good results from 15 rolls of dimes. I haven't found a proof dime myself yet. They are quite rare in circulation.

I prefer to search hand rolls because it is more likely to have something odd in it, foreign, old or otherwise than coins that have gone through the machine rolling process. The difference is slight, however, and sometimes one can't find enough customer coins so boxes have to suplement the supply. As far as machine wrapped paper rolls compared to machine wrapped plastic rolls, it depends on the denomination. For pennies and nickels I prefer paper, I find it easier to open the paper rolls and like the boxes better. For dimes and quarters, I prefer plastic because I just check the rims for silver or foreign coins, this saves me a lot of time. As far as one producing more than the other, it is not worth comparing, my region could have completely different results than yours.

Good luck!

Coin collecting -

Welcome! Thanks for reading. Glad to know there is another new father out there collecting coins. I'll tell my wife coin collectors aren't all single guys and old men! ;)

Unknown said...

I was just at the bank to exchange my 12 rolls of dimes and didn't see any possible silver on the rims... Oh well. I did see a bunch of rolls of halves there, but I need a folder first, otherwise it's no fun. I also ordered a box of nickels for Friday, so putting out any more money (although it is in exchange for money) may need wife's clearance first.

Anyway, great blog, keep them coming... And good luck to your family with their colds!