Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Coin Cart #3

Well, last night on the way home from work I stopped at Lowes. It was easy to return coin cart #2 to them. After that I went into the store and selected a more solid cart. It's cheeper too, $20.



Last night and this morning I worked through three boxes of coins and some hand rolled stuff. I first went through a box of pennies. It produced sixteen Wheats, twenty-three Canadians and one Bermuda penny. In the four boxes of pennies I got on Monday there were no new varieties ... major bummer. I next went through two boxes of nickels and 400 hand rolled nickels. Things went better with them. I found one dateless Buffalo, two War Times (1944P, 1945P), seventeen Canadian, two US pennies, one UK 20 pence piece (worth 40¢), and one Dominican Republic 5 Centavos piece (worth .1¢), . One of the Canadians was a variety I needed, a 1950 George VI! That's my first George nickel and the oldest Canadian nickel I've found.

Here's my Canadian records:

Oldest Canadian penny found in US circulation - 1920*
Oldest Canadian nickel found in US circulation - 1950
Oldest Canadian dime found in US circulation - 1943 (x2)
Oldest Canadian quarter found in US circulation - 1946

* - 1920 was the first year Canada produced a cent the same size as the US cent. Before 1920 their cent was much larger. This record will probably stand.



0 comments: