Monday, September 22, 2008

The Walk

Yesterday Meg, Henry and I join our family in walking the Jimmy Fund Marathon Walk. We only walked three miles with Henry, but some of my family walked 26.2 miles. They were doing pretty well at the end of it too! In all we had a great time visiting with family this weekend. Some of the sleeping with Henry was rough, but as long as it is past us now, it seems worth it.

After the walk yesterday I used the T for the first time since last year's Walk. I got to use all of the T tokens I found in rolls over the year. Each was worth $1.25. I'm guessing that's what they worth when they were phased out. A ride costs $2 now. Oh well, I had six of them.



I also finally finished reading a book yesterday, Livingstone, by Tim Jeal. It was really good. I could tell immediately I was going to enjoy it as I took a liking to Jeal's writing style. I had wanted to read a book about Dr. David Livingstone for some time. One can't read any book about African exploration without learning a bit about Livingstone. Without a doubt he's the most famous African explorer. He's also known as a missionary, but only converted one person who lapsed quite quickly. As an explorer he didn't have to many firsts, but the breadth of this travels and his endurance became legendary. He's probably most famous for being "found" by Henry Morton Stanley, but his most enduring legacy is really the impact he had on British Colonialism after his death. I'm looking forward to reading Jeal's biography of Stanley next.

Found: 1 penny (just after the Jimmy Fund walk)

3 comments:

James (UK) said...

How long would 26 miles take to walk roughly?

And I'm assuming "T" is perhaps "Toll"? As is toll booth?

I'm going off now to try and look up the Jimmy Fund and see if that helps...

kestrelia said...

They walked the 26 miles in about 10 hours. The T is what Bostonians refer to their subway/trolley system as. It is short for MBTA - Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority.

James (UK) said...

You must be online right now... ;-)

Thanks for that. Just found an entry on Wikipedia referring to New York's "T" subway line, and put two and two together.

We have names like "Central", "Circle" and the like for our tube lines here.

There's a nice little coloured list on the right of this link, if you want a look.