Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Bailout

Last night and this morning during my commute I searched a big mess of coins, all types.

31 large dollars, 165 small dollars, and 100 half dollars turned up just two 40% silver halves (1966, 1969D).

I didn't have much better luck with the quarters. 1,360 hand rolled quarters yielded just one Canadian. In four rolls, however, I found $3 in extra coins. I've now gotten to the point where I can identify rolls with extra coins in them, not just one extra coin, but if there are several in the roll I can tell. It's a bit sad, but it is useful. At the bank a teller saved me a silver Washington (1950) and sold me a roll of new quarters (2008P AK). That's two I needed!

2,450 dimes were pretty good. In them I found three silvers (1936, 1946, 1957), seven Canadians, and one Aruba 10¢.

The nickels were much like the quarters. There were no keepers in 760 coins, but I did find 30¢ in extra coins.

My results improved with the pennies. I searched 5,100 pennies and found twenty-three Wheats, thirty-nine Canadians, three US dimes, two UK pennies, one MBTA token, and one New Zealand 1¢. With these pennies I passed the 900,000 mark! The march towards 1 million continues. The Wheats were:

1940, 1942, 1944(2), 1945, 1946(2), 1948(2), 1950, 1951D, 1952D, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1956D(3), 1957D, 1958D(3)

Found: 6 pennies (4 at Sovereign Bank, 1 on the street in Belmont, 1 at Bank of America), 1 dime (at Sovereign Bank), 1 foreign coin (a Cayman Islands 1¢)

3 comments:

James (UK) said...

Interesting about being able to spot the rolls with extra coins in... I've heard that amongst other collectors of things, not just coins, that after a while one develops an "eye" for things others would miss... like the one china-headed doll in a group that all look identical, or the flawed £5 note in a pile of "commons".

I know when I used to visit the "car boot sales" (flea-markets), after years of practice, I was able to "look through" all the rubbish, and spot old video game consoles and the like very quickly.

When you say you searched the coin during your commute, how did you do that?

Did you get any funny looks from anyone?

kestrelia said...

My buddy was driving, so it was no problem looking at coin in the passenger seat. Nothing dangerous going on.

James (UK) said...

Ah, I see. Wasn't going to chastise you for taking your eyes off the road if you were driving or anything.

I was actually thinking you might have been on the bus or MTA, and that's why I wondered if anyone was staring. ;-)