Thursday, September 11, 2008

Ferberization

Last night Meg, Henry, and I began Henry's Ferberization. Ferber is a doctor who developed a modified cry-it-out technique to help infants sleep on their own. It's modified in that it involves comforting the child at regular, increasing intervals, while still getting the child to not depend on the parent or other crutches to soothe themselves. I took the first shift and Meg took the 2nd. Tonight we'll switch and today Meg will continue the practice for his naps.

At the bank yesterday a teller I hadn't seen in a bit had a silver Washington for me (1964) and a whole lot of coin. I searched it while on duty.

10,480 quarters (all hand rolled) yielded three silver Washingtons (1941, 1964(2)) and one Morocco 1 Dirham. It was pretty cool to find a new Washington and to find a new foreign coin. It had been 51 days since my last new US quarter find from a roll. It's strange how I found that odd foreign coin, however, in a batch (mostly from the same customer as best I can tell) that had no Canadians.



450 dimes and 440 nickels produced five Canadian dimes and four Canadian nickels (2 Ni).

The pennies in this bunch were so-so. In 5,000 pennies I found eight Wheats, twenty-three Canadians, one US dime, and one Bermuda 1¢. The Wheat varieties were:

1944, 1944D, 1945, 1946, 1949, 1951, 1952, 1954

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My wife and I have been talking about Jason's sleeping a lot lately.

Glad to have read this post. We will definitely look into Ferber.

MKG said...

Ferber, not Furber. :)

James (UK) said...

As I mentioned before, my Brother employed that "lengthening each return" technique and said it worked well, so I'd be interested to see how it goes for you.