Friday, September 26, 2008

A Tooth

Last night was a great weekend night. I got home a bit early and was able to spend more time with Meg and Henry. That felt good as I had been feeling about down a bit about only getting to spend one hour with Henry on weekdays. Before I got a chance to take my coat off I checked out Henry's mouth for evidence of his first tooth poking out (Meg had felt it early that day.). Henry was very willing to have me poke around in his mouth with my finger, but I wasn't able to feel anything. Meg showed me where it was. It is his lower right front tooth. I've had canker sores bigger than this thing, but it was still very cool. We then when on a nice long walk and had turkey dinner with stuffing and mile high apple pie. It was all very good.

While watching TV I searched a bunch of coin.

Six small dollars and twenty-four half dollars didn't produce anything.

1,000 quarters, all hand rolled, turned up seven Canadians and one Peru 5 Soles (worthless). The Peru coin is a first for me and the first one I've found in a roll from that country.



The dimes I searched were better. 5,000 of them yielded six silver dimes (1944, 1952S, 1961, 1962D, 1964, 1964D), eight Canadians, two UK 5 pence, and one US penny. That's a pretty good number of silver dimes for that amount of coin. I wish the 1952S dime was one I need like the 1951S, but alas it was not to be.

I also searched some pennies. In 5,000 pennies I found sixteen Wheats, thirty-six Canadians, and one US dime. In the mix was two new US varieties I needed the 1911D and 2008D. I had received a 2008D penny from a friend earlier this year, but this is the first one I've found in the wild. The 1911D penny is great. It is in good condition and it is one of the rarer ones I've found as only 12 million or so were minted. The Wheat varieties were:

1911D, 1918, 1941, 1942, 1946(6), 1946D, 1949, 1953(2), 1955, 1956

Found: 7 pennies (at the car wash), 1 nickel (at the car wash), 2 dimes (1 at work, 1 at Shaws)

4 comments:

Thom said...

Many congrats on the 11d, it must have been a great feeling to fill another wheat hole. Its been a while. I feel sorry for Henry, it's going to be very uncomfortable having all those teeth popping up :(

I like the Peruvian coin too. It seems like your searches always turn up better foreign coins and tokens than mine do...

kestrelia said...

Thanks. So far this year I've found nine new Wheats, about one a month - 1911D, 1912, 1914, 1918D, 1920S, 1924S, 1927D, 1927S, 1943D. Hopefully my upcoming trip to the West Coast will land me another (or maybe two!).

As for foreign coins and tokens, the hand rolls have seemed to produce some pretty neat stuff. Perhaps that is the difference?

James (UK) said...

That's great to hear about Henry's tooth coming through. He'll start to resemble a rabid dog soon, with a permanent string of drool hanging off his chin. ;-)

That guy on the coin made me instantly think of our "Guy Fawkes"... whoever he is, he's a dead ringer for him.

kestrelia said...

I agree with you there James. The Peruvian guy looks like a 16th century English dude.