Monday, April 21, 2008

Earth Day ... Some books

Yesterday was Earth Day! To celebrate Home Depot gave us a nice canvas bag. I saw a lot of people using them on the way out. I hope they bring them back to use again.

I also finished some books this weekend.



The first book I finished was In Search of Moby Dick by Tim Severin. I've never read Melville's Moby Dick, but I should, especially now that I've read this book and the house where he wrote the book is in my wife's hometown. The book had some fascinating and exciting tales about whale hunting by traditional means that is still done today on remote Pacific islands. Some people still hunt whales by leaping off of boats to drive their harpoons into the whales themselves. The author didn't find a large white whale, but he did hear about and see things that inspired Melville.



The second book I read this weekend was Hadrian's Wall: History and Guide by Guy de la Bedoyere. The book is mostly a guide to those who have the opportunity to walk sections of the wall. The first thirty-five pages discuss the history of the wall. I read those and skimmed the rest. I found the pictures throughout the book to be helpful in my understand of how it looks today. Some day I hope I can visit portions of the wall (if I lived in England I'd probably try to walk the distance of it). I think it'll be a while until Meg and I have an opportunity to go back to Europe, so this book will most likely be the first in series of books I'll obtain about places I wish to visit someday, but can't right now.



Lastly I read Lawns: Your Guide to a Beautiful Yard by Nick Christians and Ashton Ritchie. Our lawn needs some sprucing up. There are bald spots that need tending to, weeds that need to be defeated, and a small section that has sunken. This book helped me understand what I need to do. It was a quick read. Now I've got to do the work.

Found: 7 pennies, 1 nickel, 2 dimes

1 comments:

Thom said...

Hadrian's wall is a cool place, it's set in beautiful countryside. I've only been there once but I'd love to go back some day. I guess they would have been mentioned in your book but if not I'd suggest reading a little about the Vindolanda tablets, here's a wikipedia link but there's a lot more stuff online

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vindolanda_tablets

they're certainly one of the most important archealogical discoveries in Britain.