Friday, April 11, 2008

A Bit More ... Some Errors

Today when I got home I did a bit more coin searching.

I looked through 320 hand rolled dimes. In them was one War Time (1945P) and two Canadians.

I then searched 1150 pennies. They produced four Wheats (1927D, 1941, 1956, 1957D) and ten Canadians. It was great to find another album filler so soon after the last one! Perhaps I'm back on track?!

I did some more research and found out that the error dime I found last night is known as a late stage capped die error. A capped die occurs when a coin gets stuck on the die. The die then presses more coins with the stuck coin. Early stage capped die errors have an incuse (inwards) strike from the stuck coin. Late stage capped die errors have a slight, blurred strike from the die that went through now thin stuck coin. I think my coin is a bit special in the words "B ... USMIN" appear in reverse on Roosevelt's head. I think that is supposed to be USMINT. It is worth at least $15.

I took some scans of some error coins I have found. I've found quite a few broad strikes, coins struck off center, and had been keeping only the most broad ones. I think I'll start collecting all the major ones I come across. The half is interesting in that the off strike occurs on both sides.





I've also found a few clipped planchets. The nickel find is by far the best as it is double clipped.



Found: 2 dimes (at work)

1 comments:

Thom said...

Cool errors, I like the nickel a lot!