Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Reducing Trash

For the past two years my wife and I have been trying hard to reduce the trash we produce. We've gotten it down to less than one kitchen bag a week. (I wanted to weigh our trash for a year to see how low we had gotten - she said that was too far, not sure if I can blame her - I'm crazy enough.) We reduced our trash, by recycling everything we can and just trying to buy and use less wasteful items. Recently I thought of two more things we can do. One is to buy items in containers that can be recycled - why buy styling mouse in a non-recyclable metal tube, I say, when we can buy hair gel in a little jar. Two I'm going to try and use a cloth to wipe my glasses all day instead of tissue paper.

Also ... last night there were two good programs on PBS. One was a Nova episode about solar power. It was a bit lightweight, but the last fourth of it detailed Germany's effort to increase their use of renewal energy to 20% of their total by 2020. Currently they are on track to reach 30% or more by 2020! Why can't the US do that? A Frontline episode on why the US government has failed to act was aired right afterwards. Wake up America!

Found: 6 pennies (1 at work, 4 at Shaw's, 1 on the street near my house), 1 dime (on the street near my house)

2 comments:

Bailey said...

Welcome to the Coin searching Blog community! Although it is tough now that you are the second Brian. We might need to find you a nickname!

I will be checking back. I like your ideas on ways to reduce trash. It boggles my mind sometimes how much trash just my wife and I can produce!

nhcardhunter said...

Good Stuff, Brian. We recycle everything thing we can, too. All of our paper products get used up by the woodstove so that cuts out quite a bit right there. We average about one bag a week right now and I don't see increasing at all.