Friday, April 6, 2007

Debut

Hello. Today I decided to create a blog. In this blog I intend to detail the little things in life that make me happy, finding coins, redeeming cans, getting a good deal, etc. Perhaps others like me are out there.

Yesterday I received a new toy, a Kill-A-Watt. I bought it on Amazon for $24 (w/ shipping) from some place in Hawaii. These things are great. With it one can see exactly how many watts each appliance uses and how many kilowatts any appliance uses over time. I discovered that my HDTV receiver and DVD recorder waste 29 watts even when they're turned off! This morning I put them on their own switchable power strip so that my wife and I can power them only when we really need them. I estimate this will save us about $26 a year. More importantly we'll reduce our energy consumption a bit more. This weekend I'll monitor the refridgerator to see if we change the settings on it and save more.

Found: one penny