Saturday, April 28, 2007

Golden Dollars

Just as I believe in cheapness in my own life, I believe the government should be cheap. I'm a proud Democrat, so no I'm not prepared to see the roads go to hell or kick mentally ill people out onto the streets for the sake of cheaper taxes, but I do believe government has a duty to run as efficiently as possible. And so in the sake of efficiency I'm firmly in favor of higher demonination coinage. I'd like to see the dollar coin used as much as possible. Not only will the U.S. Treasury make loads of money from coin collector's with these coins, but if they ever replaced the dollar bill tons of money could be saved simply because a coin lasts longer than a paper bill. According to this article the U.S. would save $500 million a year if the switch was made. Let's make a five dollar coin for that matter!



To promote the dollar coin I have decided to launch a one man effort to get the thing into circulation. I'm going to try to use the coin as much as possible. I think I will get a lot of questions about it.

Today I also redeemed some more My Coke Rewards points for another year of Popular Mechanics. They've expanded their program to every Coke product, but the "price" of a magazine subscription went from 96 points to 120 points.

Found: 5 pennies (4 at Shaw's, 1 outside Sovereign Bank), 1 dime (near vending machine at work)

Redeemed: $3.05

3 comments:

Bailey said...

I totally agree with the dollar coin idea. Mostly, because it will mean there could be more dollar coins on the ground!

I bet you will get a LOT of questions. Keep us updated with all the remarks you get. I'm sure you will get tons. To paraphrase the Simpsons, "You can turn it into the bank for a REAL dollar!"

As for the my coke reward caps. I pick them up at baseball games, and they can be sold on eBay!

Unknown said...

I agree on the dollar coin to a certain degree (I do prefer paper), but the only way it'll catch on is if the gov't stops producing paper. There can be no option.

I've just gotten into the Coke caps, and got a subscription to SmartMoney (which I'm not fond of but like well enough).

AndyfromSimi said...

Nothing like find a dollar coin! I plan to start using them A.S.A.P.