Saturday, April 21, 2007

Plastic Bags

For about a year now my wife and I have been trying to not use plastic bags. We've got some cloth shopping bags we keep in our cars and use them at the grocery store. I've tried hard not to take any bags from other stores as well. I've found I have to say, "No bag, please" as soon as I get to the counter in order to avoid the store clerk immediately placing whatever in a plastic bag. I get strange looks, but I don't care. God gave me hands and I don't mind using them for my walk to the car and into the house.

It is worth the effort. On ABC last night we heard that only 3% of plastic bags are recycled! Furthermore, they last 5-10 years at the dump and over a lifespan the average person uses 18,000 of them. That's crazy! Most are used for such a short while. I hope more municipalities will ban them like San Francisco. For more information about them check out this link.

Found: 8 pennies (5 outside Dangelo's, 1 at work, 1 at Best Buy, 1 under mall candy cart), 1 nickel (near mall soda machine), 2 dimes (1 outside Best Buy, 1 at Shaw's), 1 quarter (outside Hotel Commonwealth)

0 comments: