Sunday, April 26, 2009

Arbor Day

It's been busy weekend for us so far, but the weather's been great, we've gotten a lot done and we've had some good fun. The weekend started on Friday as I took the day off to do some yard work with Meg. I started early and together we prepped for a lot of mulch, trimmed bushes, measured stuff and moved some rocks. Henry was outside for a lot of it as well. On Saturday we went to our town's Arbor Day event. We didn't pick up any of the free trees they were giving out (too small), but we did get two nice bags and see part of the animal show (we couldn't get close enough, soon enough for Henry's taste). In the afternoon we drove out to see Henry's Uncle who was having a birthday. There we went to a great town park and later went to surprise birthday party.



My coin roll hunting was awesome. Things started out great when I saw this:



Thirty-one small dollars didn't produce.

8,000 half dollars turned up seventeen 90% silver halves (1918D, 1952, 11 x 1964, 4 x 1964D), one hundred four 40% silver halves (4 x 1965, 10 x 1966, 43 x 1967, 25 x 1968D, 20 x 1969D, 1969S, 1970D) and two proof halves (1969S, 1980S). The 1918D is a new one for me. It's tied for my second oldest half and is fairly rare. The 1969S is only the second one I've found and might be in better condition then my other one. It's always good to find a 1970D.





At the park my sister-in-law to be gave me a big batch of foreign coins she found cleaning up! In the little purse was Australian (4 x $2, 3 x $1, 3 x 20¢, 4 x 10¢, 5¢), New Zealand ($2, 20¢, 5¢), and Fiji (3 x $1, 3 x 50¢, 10¢, 5¢). Much appreciated! I didn't have most of those in my collection.

Meg found two $1 bills on our street on Friday on a run. I can't count them, but I can be jealous.



I also finished reading a book last night, The Voyage of the Beagle, by James Taylor. Visually the book is great. It is filled with drawings and paintings of and from the voyage and of people involved in it. I found the non-linear coverage of the expedition to be irksome, however. This book piqued my interest, but I'll definitely read something more substantial about Darwin and this famous expedition in the future.

Found: 1 dime (at Dunkin' Donuts)

Redeemed: $.10

3 comments:

James (UK) said...

Nice one on that old find!

Do you tend to have a traditional "birthday" cake at children's birthdays? Like the basic "sponge cake" with a jam filling we have in the UK?

kestrelia said...

Yup. Not a sponge cake with jam, but usually a white or brown cake inside with frosting on the top and sides. My brother-in-law had a special red velvet cake, which tends to be a bit dry, but we couldn't stay for it. :( We're always missing out on the cake these days, because we leave most parties early. We usually have cake a birthday parties regardless of people's age.

James (UK) said...

Over here, it's very much the tradition to cut up the cake, and distribute it in party "goodie" bags, so that even if you were to leave early, you'd still get your piece! ;-)