Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Cinco de Mayo

Yesterday was a good day for me.

Things started out well at my bank. I let two people pass through me to use the coin counting machine. It proved to be fortuitous. The second person had a whole bunch of rejects which they sold me for face value. It was mostly Canadian. I picked up seven Wheats (1934, 1940, 2 x 1941, 1942, 1943, 1956D), thirty-six Canadian nickels (36 Ni), forty Canadian dimes, thirty-one Canadian quarters, one UK 5 pence piece, and one Bermuda 5¢. The mix included a Steelie, one 80% silver dime (1962), and three 50% silver quarters (3 x 1968)! To top it off a silver coin I thought I spied rejected at one point while the first person was using the machine, was spit out during the second person's use. It was a 2002S Indiana quarter. My first 90% silver US proof quarter. Only 888,826 were minted.





Later that day I met up with Chris, a fellow CRH'er and coin spotter, for dinner and a book signing. It was good to talk shop with a like minded person. We had a small, fun, unofficial coin spotting contest. The author we saw was Tony Horwitz. He's one of my favorites. I've read three of his books, Baghdad Without a Map, Confederates in the Attic, and Blue Latitudes. All of them are a great mix of quirky travel journalism and history. Mr. Horwitz spoke for about 1/2 hour, answered some questions and signed autographs. In future I hope to meet some other favorite authors of mine. It has been a good experience each time I have done so.



Unfortunately being in Cambridge meant I was away from the family for the evening. That felt a little strange. I'm really looking forward to seeing Henry this evening. It will be good to "relax" with him and Meg tonight.

Found: 12 pennies (around Harvard Square), 1 dime (on the street near Harvard Bookstore), 1 token (a Funspot token found near the Harvard T stop)

1 comments:

Chris said...

You were kind not to mention the results of the change walk, but I felt obliged to when I finally got everything updated.