Wednesday, October 24, 2007

New Bank?

Last night on the way home I decided to check out the local credit union. It is open two nights a week until 7pm. That time fits my schedule and I've been thinking that it'd be in my interest to establish a relationship with another bank or two. They were friendly to me there and I can open an account with only $5! They had no halves (my opener), but they had no problem with me buying all the hand rolled coin they had. I bought a big, heavy bag.

Before I checked out the bag I finished a box of nickels from the night before. It had one War Time in it (1944P) and five Canadians. One of the Canadians, as I mentioned before, was one I needed, 1972, and one of the US nickels was a key date, 1950D. The 1950D is the rarest (by mintage) nickel.

From the credit union I got 2,850 hand rolled quarters. They produced nine Canadians, one UK 10 pence, one US dime, and one US nickel. No new varieties were in the bunch.

I also got 1,500 dimes. In them I found two silver Rosies (1960, 1963D), two Canadians, and a East Caribbean States 10¢.

They only had 450 pennies. Sadly, they only had one Wheat and five Canadians in them.

Lastly, I checked the 1,280 nickels I got. In the batch I found one Buffalo (1936) and six Canadians. I think I have about half a dozen spare 1936 Buffalo nickels at this point. More were minted in that year than any other, but my numbers still seem out of proportion. I'm still feeling good about the 1930 Bufflao I found a few days ago, however.

1 comments:

Chris said...

Nice job on the 1950D. I have had luck just walking into banks and buying their hand rolled coins (got about $60 in nickels the other day). Banks seem eager to dump it even if you don't have an account if you are willing to give them the cash for the coins.