Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Wedding

This weekend the three of us went to Western Massachusetts for two days to celebrate my sister-in-law's wedding. It went really well. I particularly liked the bagpipes they had at the end of the ceremony. I'm looking forward to hearing their perspectives on the event and how there honeymoon was.

After we got back I did some coin roll hunting.

At bank #3 the head teller mistakenly ordered four boxes of small dollars. Fortunately for me the boxes were mixed, they weren't all one president like the two boxes I ordered before. I bought one box and told her I'd buy the others of over the next couple of weeks. The first box didn't disappoint me. It produced one proof (1980S) and two mint set dollars (2002P, 2006P).

I also searched six boxes of halves. They yielded one commemorative half (1925 Lexington-Concord Sesqueicential), seven 90% silver halves (1953, 1961, 5 x 1964), and four 40% silver halves (1965, 2 x 1968D, 1969D). The commemorative is great! That's only the 2nd silver commemorative I've found and is probably one of my best coin finds. It is circulated of course, but I think it is worth $30-50.



Lastly, I looked through two boxes of dimes and found one silver Rosie (1960D). Although the dime boxes I get from bank #3 are fast to search because they are wrapped in clear plastic they don't seem to produce in the same way as the paper wrapped ones. There are far fewer Canadians and other foreign coins in them. This causing me to think about these a bit. I just want to find a new silver Rosie before the year's out!

Found: 5 pennies (1 at the Turnpike Rest Stop, 2 on Williams College campus, 2 in Williamstown), 1 quarter (at the Tunnel Cafe, in Williamstown.)

Redeemed: $8.45

3 comments:

Thom said...

Many congrats on the commem!

Unknown said...

Awesome find with the commemorative. Amazing what one can find in circulated coins...

In visiting my local bank this weekend, I found out they will order halves for in amounts less than $500. Here goes my half dollar searching!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful find... came across your blog a while back and love it. Reminds me of the things my father was doing with me 20 yrs ago... searching through coins, searching for coins, recycling..... Anyhow, not sure what grade your lexington concord coin is in, but in AU-50 its 90 bucks, and in MS-65 its 485.