Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Happy Birthday!

Today is Henry's official birthday. It's been a week+ of celebrations, but today is the day. Today Meg's got a special treat for him. Hopefully there are some good pictures from it. Yesterday he had friends over for birthday pancakes, mmmm.

Here's a picture of Henry examining Steggie while playing in a couch fort.



I did pretty well with last night's coins.

51 small dollars and 81 halves produced two new small dollars I needed, 2009P Zachary Taylor, and 2009D Zachary Taylor. I was surprised to find both of them in the same batch. It's not that often I find a D mint presidential dollar out here.

2,400 quarters yielded one silver Washington (1959D), ten Canadians, two Bermuda 25¢, two US nickels and a Russian 5 Roubles. The silver quarter is the first new silver quarter I've found since June! Yikes! The Russian coin is a new type for me as well.



2,800 dimes turned up just two silver Rosies (1960D, 1961D).

1,200 nickels had six Canadians (1 Ni) and one UK 20 pence. In there was also one key date Jefferson, the 1950.

4,950 pennies rounded up twenty-seven Wheats, forty-two Canadians, three US dimes and a UK penny. The Wheats were:

1927, 1941, 1944(5), 1945(2), 1947(2), 1948, 1948S, 1949, 1951D, 1951S, 1952(2), 1955, 1956, 1957, 1957D(4), 1958, 1958D



Last Friday I finished reading Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War by Nathaniel Philbrick. I had been anxious to read about the Pilgrims after reading about Jamestown, especially since I plan on visiting Plimouth Plantation in the Spring. I think this was a good book to choose. The first half of the book concerns the Pilgrims and their troubles. A lot of the basics were familiar to me, but I didn't know all of the personal motives behind the history. They didn't cover that in grade school! The second half of the book dealt with King Philip's War (1675-1676). (The title doesn't mention this part of the book at all.) I didn't know much about this conflict at all. Philbrick did a great job laying out what lead up to this war, how it transpired and its immediate consequences. Overall, I liked Philbrick's style quite a bit. I have two more of his books on order.

Found: 2 pennies (1 at Stop & Shop)

2 comments:

Thom said...

awesome news on the new quarter! I'm very happy for you.

kestrelia said...

Thanks. It seems like it has been a slow start to the year coin-hunting-wise, but the new quarter and Indian Head make me feel like things are turning around. Just one good one a week is all I ask for ...