Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Dah Plane!

Last night I came home with a small gift for Henry. I got him a small, beginner Playmobil plane during my lunchtime. He seemed to like it a lot since it has a propeller and a set of wheels. He even put the little pilot back in the seat at times.






My coins results were OK.

25 small dollars had nothing.

7,840 quarters produced one shiny Washington (1964), ten Canadians, one Philippine 1 Piso and four US nickels.

1,100 dimes turned up one silver Rosie (1959).

960 nickels had three Canadians and one key date Jefferson, the 1955.

3,500 pennies yielded twenty-six Wheats and seven Canadians. The Wheats were:

1937, 1940, 1946(3), 1950, 1950S, 1952D, 1955D(2), 1956, 1956D(4), 1957(5), 1957D(4), 1958, 1958D



Yesterday I also finished a book I was reading, Aurel Stein: Pioneer of the Silk Road, by Annabel Walker. I first started reading another book about Aurel Stein, Sir Aurel Stein: Archaeological Explorer, by Jeannette Mirsky, but I couldn't stand the author's writing style so I switched books. I'm glad I did. Walker's book is really well written. It's just the sort of biography I like to read, lots of quotes from old letters, etc. (What will biographers write about in the future now that there are no easily preserved, written letters?) Aurel Stein was born in Budapest in 1862. Although of Jewish descent he was baptised. A favorite uncle and watchful brother led him into academia. Instead of becoming a professor in Europe he sought a position in India. He switched positions in India quite frequently, but remained based there for the rest of his life and fully adopted British Colonialism. He even became a British citizen.



Despite his official duties, Stein spent most of his life preparing for, participating in and writing about his trips. His adventures led him to Western China, Iran and Afghanistan. He is most famous (and infamous) for his exploration of the Caves of a Thousand Buddhas. There he controversially bribed a local caretaker to let him take many ancient manuscripts. Stein continued exploring until his death in 1943 at the age of eighty.



Found: 1 penny (at CVS), 1 dime (at CVS)

1 comments:

James (UK) said...

Love the "tattoo" reference! Bring back the old "Fantasy Island", I say!