Sunday, October 4, 2009

Farms

Henry's been visiting a lot of farms lately. It seems like every couple of days there's some sort of farm experience for him, seeing animals of some sort. So far he hasn't gotten bored of it all and, personally, I've been enjoying it a lot. I always liked the petting zoo my mother tells me.

A week an a half ago Meg took him to a living history museum. They have a great play area there for kids his age. He got to dress up a little.



Last week Meg took him to a nearby farm with some friends to pick apples and get a pumpkin.



This weekend we went to a nearby farm that seeks to educate people about organic farming and sustainable agriculture. The place was holding a harvest festival. We went with my parents. There they had a maze made out of hay with animals in the dead ends, a hay ride, a camel, tons of farm animals both inside and outside and a global village. I think we'll go back there sometime soon.







Henry, Meg and I also had some fun with some homemade Play-Doh (Meg's special recipe). The ricer worked wonders!



This week's half dollars were about the same as last week's. 8,000 halves produced two 90% silver halves (2 x 1964), ten 40% silver halves (2 x 1967, 5 x 1968D, 3 x 1969D), one proof half (1999S) and one hundred four mint set halves (1987P, 6 x 2002P, 8 x 2002D, 18 x 2003P, 4 x 2003D, 12 x 2004P, 10 x 2004D, 32 x 2005D, 11 x 2006P, 2 x 2006D). That was a lot mint set halves!

On Friday I found a pretty big load of coins. In the reject bin of a coin counter (not a Coin Star machine, James UK ;) I found thirty-four dimes and sixteen pennies!



Throughout the weekend while Henry played quietly at the table, I whipped through a book I got on Friday, Two Early Maps of Southern Africa: A Discovery in Sweden by Christer Blomstrand. The book is only forty pages and concerns two early maps of Namibia that were recently rediscovered in Swedish archives. The maps were made in 1852 by Charles John Andersson, a Swedish explorer, hunter and trader. Andersson was the illegitimate son of an English gentleman and his Swedish mistress. He was born in 1827. His father, Llewellyn Lloyd was a avid bear hunter and his love of nature transferred easily to his son. Andersson made several explorations of south western Africa and wrote two popular books about his travels. He died on one such journey at the age of 40 in 1867. More books were published from his notes after his death. I enjoyed reading the book a lot as I have one of Andersson's books in my reading queue and learning his story has been a bit difficult. The only other published biographical work about him I am aware of is from 1936. This small book fills a gap. It has some great pictures in it and the maps are fascinating.

Found: 16 pennies (at DCU), 35 dimes (1 outside CVS, 34 at CVS)

Redeemed: $1.55

0 comments: