Thursday, May 8, 2008

300,000 Nickels Searched

Yesterday went pretty well for me.

Things started out good when I found a nice weird mix of coins at the coin counter and then continued when a teller gave me seven Wheat pennies (1929, 1940, 1947D, 1950S, 1952D, 1955, 1956D). Unfortunately, I got stuck buying four boxes of brand new pennies. I'll have to turn them or trade them at some other bank.

When I got home I took Henry for a walk so Meg could make supper and cupcakes (a test run for her sister's wedding shower). Henry was a bit fussy during the walk and so I took him home quickly. He was a bit better at home and slept a lot during the night. He's now gotten so big that we have removed some of the padding from his car seat.

I searched two boxes of nickels last night and this morning, 4,000 coins. With those coins I surpassed the 300,000 mark! The results were pretty good. In the boxes I found one Buffalo (1930), two War Times (1944P, 1945S), fifteen Canadians (5 Ni), a clipped planchette error coin, and a trick nickel. The trick nickel has two tails. I was bit perplexed when I found it. Someone put two reverses together and there is a slight seam on the edge, but it is tough to see. It'll be a good conversation piece today. One of the Canadians was a 1941. That is the 2nd oldest Canadian nickel I've found in US circulation.

Found: 2 pennies (1 at Sovereign Bank, 1 at Shell), 1 dime (at Sovereign Bank), two tokens (a Namco and a Wal-Lex token, both found at Sovereign Bank), five foreign coins (a UK 5 pence, a Canadian penny, a Canadian dime, a Canadian quarter, and one German Mark, all found at Sovereign Bank)

0 comments: